About Us

First Presbyterian Church of Port Jefferson was established in 1870 as a mission of the Setauket Presbyterian Church with 50 members. The Masonic Hall, across the street from the church, was the original church building. Our current building was completed in 1911. Our membership today numbers over 220 with about 100 at worship - large enough for a strong church program, small enough to know and support each other.

Our governing boards consist of 12 Elders/trustees and 12 Deacons, with 7 committees that oversee the work of Christ in our community and beyond.

What We Do

missionWe are a church that seeks to honor God in both word and deed. As Presbyterians we do what we believe! We have expanded our mission projects trips to provide care and support through the Medical Mission to Honduras (KHISH), and the Midnight Run, providing food and clothing to the homeless in New York City. Other areas of mission and outreach that we support include Habitat for Humanity; SHALOM Interfaith Project, Soles for Souls, Dress for Success, The Protestant Campus Ministries at the State University of New York, Stony Brook; Church World Service; Heifer Project; and the Parish Resource Center. We have offered our own programs and been partners with surrounding churches fostering further understanding of the people and culture of the Middle East. We are dedicated to children and youth and have a full Christian Education program for children from nursery age through Confirmation. We are a supporter of the arts, hosting recitals, concerts, and art exhibits.

 

We've been known to decorate a wooden cross with flowers on Easter Sundays and had banners waving on the church lawn as children have scrambles for Easter eggs. We've read Scriptures in many different languages and heard different voices speak on complex issues.

 

We've built a model church out of Legos to illustrate that it takes many people and many talents to make a church. We hold an annual Blessing of the Animals service, with dogs, cats, ferrets, birds, lizards, and more. You never know what we'll do next.

 

Come and see!

Pastor Richard

img_2501We are proud to introduce our minister, The Reverend Dr. Richard Graugh. He began working with us in October 2007. He approaches ministry as a shared, sacred journey of the community of faith comprised of many members, each with individual gifts which together empower the church to be bearers of Christ's love and healing to a world in need. He brings a rich and varied work history and education to his ministry. Following the completion of a BA degree (with honors) in Sociology, and a Masters Degree in Social Work, he worked variously as a Social Worker with the Children's Aid Society; as Assistant Manager for an Electrical Works Group, a Youth Minister, Hospital Chaplain, and as a staff member in a multi-staff church in suburban Philadelphia. He returned full-time to Princeton Theological Seminary at age 28, and was ordained in 1991 when he accepted a position as full time Pastor to the First Presbyterian Church of Parkesburg, Pa, a position he held for sixteen years. He continued his formal studies in pastoral counseling while serving as full time pastor and achieved a Doctor of Ministry degree in Marriage and Family from Eastern Theological Seminary. Richard is the proud parent of two grown daughters, one of whom recently promoted him to the role of grandfather.